How to Break Free from Opinions
Letting others dictate your life makes feeling unhappy and stagnant a sure bet. If you want to truly level up, move forward, and grow as a human you’ll learn how to stop listening.
We cannot control what others think or say, but we don't have to give it power.
It’s been the number one thing to limit me, especially when it comes to lifestyle design, entrepreneurship, and motherhood! I promise you… I work on not giving a shit daily. This guide is just as much for me as it is for you. The greatest disservice that we can give ourselves is to listen to someone’s else’s opinions, and allow that to be a driving factor in how we live out our lives.
From what strangers on the internet may think, to those who are dearest to us in real life… everyone has an opinion.
But let me tell you something about those opinions… listening to them gets you nowhere. Or it gets you somewhere you don’t want to be.
First of all, negative people like to make more negative people. Plain and simple. It has zero to do with you and everything to do with their unhappiness. Misery loves company, you know?
Second, people who love you and think differently than you will want to push their beliefs onto you. If you listen to those fear based beliefs, especially if they are beliefs you struggle with, then you will cling on to them, too.
Third, we hyper focus on hypothetical opinions whether they are true or not because of an underlying longing we humans have to be loved and accepted.
Can you imagine being old, looking back on your life, and realizing you lived it for everyone else? Can you imagine allowing all your dreams to never turn into anything because someone else thought they weren’t a good idea to act on? And if you’re anything like me, if you listen to someone else over yourself you are just breeding resentment. I have done exactly that in my life. But the thing is, it’s not their fault. I am my own person, and I make my own decisions.
You are the CEO of your life. Don’t give someone else that job title. They’ll never do it as well as you do. Here are a few things that have made a tremendous difference in my life in terms of breaking free from other’s opinions.
1) Don’t ask other people’s opinions unless it is someone who is living the life you want to live. Then you can ask, but remember that their opinion still doesn’t matter at all compared to yours.
2) Stop telling people about what you want to do. No one can give you an opinion if they don’t know what you’re up to. Tell people after the fact.
3) Remove yourself from the people who don’t support you, and connect with people who will support you. Find a community of people who want the same things you want in life.
4) Read uplifting and inspiring personal development books. Immerse yourself in books that contribute to whatever it is you are working towards in life.
5) Trust yourself, and trust that the universe is supporting you. Repeat affirmations that build your confidence. If you trust yourself and the universe then so and so’s opinion really carries no weight. Some affirmations I love:
When I follow my heart, I can’t go wrong.
My intuition and inner guide is loud and clear.
Everything I want in life is available to me.
I hold the wisdom I need.
The universe supports me.
6) Stop giving a fuck. (Affirmation: I don’t give a fuck what other’s think.) Seriously though! The only opinion that you should give a fuck about is your own. Sometimes we just need a little profanity to pick ourselves up and get over something.
You have one life. Live it for YOU.
With so much LOVE,